Brown Rice has been an important kitchen ingredient since a few years now. Earlier I simply used it as a replacement for white rice but that dint work well. Both these rice varieties are different in many ways; be it taste, texture, cooking method or smell. Gradually I started experimenting with Brown Rice instead of merely using it as a white rice substitute.
I realized Brown Rice doesn’t really go well with desi preparations like Dals and Curries as a straight white rice replacement so I figured out a few recipes that make the rice variety tasty worth trying.
For the uninitiated, Brown Rice is rice variety that is unpolished and has the germ and bran layer intact. Basically, whole grain that is loaded with lot of nutritional goodness.
Today I am sharing one such quick Brown Rice Recipe which is a one bowl kind of dish that is the perfect food to whip up for lazy dinner nights.
Chicken Brown Rice has the right mix of carbs and protein served in a delicious way.
It’s a good idea to include Brown Rice in your diet if you want to work towards reducing weight, improve digestion, control diabetes, maintain body cholesterol levels and in general switch to healthy eating.
With a handful of ingredients you are good to go and serve yummyness to family in minutes. The sauce is real quick to make. If you don’t mind consuming raw spinach then the sauce can be mixed in a bowl to be served without actually cooking it. This also makes it a cold dish to be served without bothering to go near the cook-top.
Chicken Brown Rice with Creamy Spinach Sauce
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 1.5 cup shredded chicken
- 2/3 cup fresh cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 teaspoons Oregano
- 2 tablespoons oil + 2 teaspoon oil
- Salt as per taste
- Sliced Green Olives & Grated Cheese for Garnish
- Step 1 – Wash the rice thoroughly. Pressure cook with 3 cups of water, 2 tablespoons oil and some salt. Cook for at least 3 whistles on medium flame.
- Step 2 – While the rice cooks prepare the sauce by melting butter in a pan.
- Step 3 – Add in the spinach and shredded chicken. Cook till the spinach wilts.
- Step 4 – Add in the cream, oregano and salt. Mix well and cook for about a minute till everything comes together to form a sauce.
- Step 5 – Once the rice cooks,drain in a colander and fluff it with a fork. Lightly toss with some oil (approx 2 teaspoons)
- Step 6 – Immediately transfer the rice in a serving bowl and top it with prepared spinach sauce. Garnish the bowl with olives and cheese. Serve hot.
Till then, Love Being a Mommy!